Completed in 2014, this mixed use scheme centred on a gothic-style church and introduced a new leisure centre with swimming pools and 1000-seat ice rink, supermarket, TfL bus interchange, 250 homes and new areas of public realm and semi-private roof gardens. The scheme sought to respect the setting of the church, with a unified public realm and a strong framework of planting. The podium courtyard garden was designed as a series of intimate garden rooms, with linear evergreen hedges contrasting with more naturalistic arrangements of specimen multi-stemmed shrubs and herbaceous planting.
- Sun and shade played important factors in the courtyard garden, which is enclosed on three sides. The layout makes the most of the natural aspect of the site, incorporating sunny herb borders and shade loving fern gardens
- Groupings of statement mmcité ‘limpido’ seating throughout the private and public realm help to animate spaces and encourage communal activities within the residential areas
- A mottled patchwork of paving tones within the central roof garden helps to bring a ‘gardenesque’ character to this semi-private space and white flecks within the paving help to brighten the shadier spaces
URS / Halcrow / Peter Brett Associates
Vinci / Willerby Landscapes
£80m (£1.5m External Works)
Macgregor Smith / Benedict Luxmoore